Duration: 2+ hours
Number of kids: 17
Ages: 5 through 11
Food: green stuff (grapes, limeade, mint ice cream); Irish stuff (Irish soda bread made with an out-of-this-world Old World recipe by A.M.–thanks!); leprechaun stuff (mini ice cream cones, mini cupcakes, mini corn dogs)
Games and activities:
1. Dancing Irish jigs and whatnot until everyone arrives. (We played An Dochas‘ Firefly–if you get a chance to see these guys perform live, they’re fabulous.)
2. Reverse Irish hot potato: The kids sit in a circle and pass a hot baked potato while someone mans the music; when the music stops, whoever has the potato wins that round. Extra squeals when the potato bursts open, which happened twice.
3. Meal and a movie: The Secret of Roan Inish.
4. More dancing (this time to The Chieftains), keep the balloons in the air, etc.
5. Blarney stone circular story: Again sitting in a circle, the kids pass the stone and make up a bit of the story before giving it over to the next child. Biggest laughs: “and the leprechauns showed up holding a bag of lemons” and “then stuff happened.”
6. On the way out: grab a party favor bag from the pot of gold.